Thursday 24 December 2015

Updates; Hackathon, purchases, Kali Linux, death of RPi B+

(1) Finally threw away my old CPU tower while cleaning up my room. Savaged the hard disk, power supply, two fans (sadly 12V), and some buttons.

(2)Bought a 27" monitor to replace my 20"

(3) Bought a HDMI switch. It only cost me $16 and makes life so convenient. No more plugging in and out wires. I set it up at home, one input is the computer, second is PS4, and last one is empty for now. Will purchase one more cable and attach it for my RPi.

(4) Took part in an experiment to find the threshold where a human wrist will no longer be able to differentiate between angles. The machine in question is pictured below. Had to wear modified goggles that ensure my vision was removed from the equation.


(5) So I bought this dongle as I wanted to try out Kali Linux on RPi 2. However once I set everything up and running, it turns out that the chip set does not support network monitoring, which is something quite essential for Kali. I did a search on chips that support it, and will go buy another one. Hopefully I can return this while at it.

 (6) One of my previous blogpost was about trying to read an old drive.
So I brought it home and manage to get it spinning but am still unable to read from it. I'm afraid it might be damaged. I will try again this weekend, last week I was very tired and sleepy so I decided to go to bed after I managed to get it spinning.

(7) Another purchase. Now not only will my siblings, dad, and I no longer have to "fight" for the favourite charging spot (beside the computer), but I can also use it to power the RPi.

(8) My brother gave me this, which he got from a trip to SP. Thanks for the spare parts. 

(9) So I joined my second hackathon, DBS PayLah hackathon. It was in the first week of Dec and was 3 days of training followed by two days of hacking. Nights were not included, even for the 2 days. The training was basic HTML, CSS and JS, which I knew due to bootstrap. So I took to LyndaCampus and learned Ionic, which we used to develop our app. I also integrated the DBS PayLah API into our app. End of the way, we had a presentation and I'm glad to announce that we won first place! =D

(10) Someone I know is selling his B+ with power cable, case, and memory card for $30. It is a good deal at that price, but I'm not sure what I will do with another B+. The RPi2 is so much faster. Ever since I got it, I have been using it exclusively, swapping memory cards when I have to, and only touched my B+ yesterday, when I was at home and wanted to try out Kali (don't bother trying it on B+, use 2 instead). If I find a use for it (them) I guess I will buy it.

Tor relay? Guess I can consider this, relay only, no exit node.

Tor router? Sounds cool but I if I really needed so much privacy there are other ways to achieve it. Can't think of when I would need a tor router.

Rebuild or improve the arcade machine and leave it in it permanently? I think this sounds like the best idea, especially if I used a transparent/translucent box to house everything, possibly add on a fan or two.

I'm glad I booted up the B+ before committing to buy another and before the Zero came here.

No comments:

Post a Comment